Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Princess and the Keeper

Hello folks,

This is a short-story I wrote for my creative writing assignment in English class...I was supposed to either analyse the lesson, or rewrite the story therein, in a character's perspective.
The essay we did in class is written by Tagore, "Once there was a King". My own story, picks off where Tagore's grandmother's story (in that particular essay) ends.

Hope it makes a good read!


Princess and the Keeper



A princess is someone I usually don’t see in the forest; especially at this hour of the night. Well, there she was, looking for someone, or something; frantic almost. She wasn’t quite dressed like a princess; for one, her royal gown, or whatever it is that these blue-blooded people wear, was replaced by a relatively austere night-gown; obviously too  extravagant for a night-gown, that is. Her dark hair was left open; it had no jewel-bands or ornaments. Her face carried an expression of defeat and desperation, like she’s lost some dear person, or was about to; very soon.


“Keeper of the Forest!” she cried, her voice was loud, but was stricken with grief and sadness. “Where are you, oh Keeper? I am in dire need of your aid!”

Oh! She was indeed looking for someone, and it was me! Royal folks are usually unheard of in this part of the world- the savage part. Yes, they do have their weird whims, like game hunting, for instance, which is rather problematic for someone like me. And, they are, in general, disdainful of the natural world.
This particular princess, however, had a dignified air around her, almost worth respecting. 


Ah, she was looking for me; I answered:
“Yes, Princess, fair and gentle!” My voice was as theatrical as I could make it; which is rather impressive, I must say! “I am the Keeper of the Forest! At my command are the beasts and birds! Speak swift, and state your purpose! You do not belong in this forest, at such dark hours!”

“Thank goodness!” she exclaimed. “I am in need of your aid, Keeper! Show yourself, and I shall state my purpose. But know this, I am grateful to you!”


Ah, women! Oh, well, it is impolite to keep a lady waiting…so, I said, “You need me, Princess, not the other way! Know your place, and you shall receive my aid!”
“Forgive me,” she said, weeping. Weeping?! “My husband is poisoned by a snake. He now lies cold and lifeless, on the threshold of death. Our best medicine men have failed to bring him back. It is in great desperation that I have braved the freezing night and the dangerous forest, to ask for you aid. The King shall shower all the wealth in the world on you! But please,” her voice overwhelmed by tears, “help me!”

Great! A damsel in distress! I jumped down from the tree and, in a whoosh, was behind her. Well, I confess, she was beautiful. From above I never noticed her eyes; a hazel tint. Her dark hair reflected the light of the stars. Her face was pale, probably from fear and worry, but was calm, like she knew what she was doing; determined and resilient: a quality unseen in most women of her social strata.


But why should I help her? Truth be told, I desired her; I wished to be in her company. To be in love, if I could dare say that. But look at my folly! A tramp like me with a princess like her!? Even in thoughts, the very thought is absurd! Well then, I had no choice but to help her.

“Fair enough, Princess,” I said, with an air of superiority, and strolled a bit. Theatricality, you see. “But I have my price; my expertise doesn’t come cheap! 10,000 gold coins will be my fee. If you agree to…”
“Yes, I agree to it!” she exclaimed, in an instance, her face radiated gladness. “Anything you ask for, the King shall give! Please come with me! We are in need of haste!”
“Come now!” I said, “We have no time to waste, no time to chit-chat! Alright, where is your, err, palace? Or is it a castle?
“West,” she said, “the Palace with Seven Wings. The Tower is where my husband is!”
Good Heavens! That building!? For 10,000 coins, anything is worth enduring!



I whistled for my transportation, and the Eagle came from his eyrie. “You summoned me?”
“Yes,” I said, like a captain would say to his lieutenant. “The Princess needs our help. Take us to the Palace with Seven Wings!”
“As you wish, Keeper.”

I mounted Eagle and taking the Princess’ hand, pulled her aboard. I quipped, “Hope you don’t get air sick!”
The Eagle beat his majestic wings, kicking a dust storm on the forest floor. Within moments we were airborne, en route to her palace.

“Tell me, Princess,” I asked, “the exact nature of events that led to the Prince’s predicament?”
She spoke, her voice now calm, and hopeful. “Long before I was born my father desired a son. So he retired to the Forest to practice austerities. Twelve years after I was born, he returned and both my parents decided that I had reached the age of marriage. My Father decided that the first person he’d see the next morning was to be my husband.”
“Princess,” I interrupted, politely, “not to be offensive, but I think that was rather, um, illogical.”
“Yes,” she sighed. “But it was my Father’s happiness that I longed to see; to obey his every word, like a son would.”
I remained quiet for a moment. “Please, continue.”
“That next morning he saw a Brahman boy and wed me to him. For six years, I took care of him, as a dutiful wife should. But he grew impatient. He wanted to know who I was. Three nights ago, I told him that he would know the answer tonight. Alas, as I entered our bed-chamber, I was horrified to see him lying on the bed, pale and lifeless, and a most vicious serpent coiled beside him, baring its fangs, hissing!” Her voice trembled as she spoke those words, fear creeping back to her mind, again.
I took a while to think. A serpent, black and vicious. I has to be Kobra-khai, I deduced; the renegade mercenary, an insult to the herpetological world.
“Don’t worry,” I said, placing my hand on her shoulder, for a brief moment. “I will do my best.”
“Thank you,” she whispered. Her hazel eyes were glistening with hope and faith; her dark hair, flowing in the wind.

Personally, I think that the Palace with Seven Wings was a wasteful building. But today it stood a proud structure, enveloped by an air of despair. All the Kings men and horses were awake, gazing toward the Forest, hoping for the Princess to come back.
“The Tower,” I said to Eagle, “The Prince is in there. Hurry!”

Beating his wings mid-air, Eagle swooped to the right in a single aerobatic motion. Talons forward, he gripped the stone rampart and came to a halt. “Good luck, Keeper,” he said.
“Thank you, Eagle,” I said, dismounting, rushing towards the bed-chamber. “Princess, please stay where you are!”


The windows were open and the candles extinguished. I saw the Prince lying on white satin sheets and rose petals, froth came out of his mouth, his eyes lifeless, and his skin pale. On the floor, I saw his murderer: Kobra-Khai.

“You’ve been up to no good, it seems, Kobra-Khai,” I said sternly.
“So, the pretty lady got you out of the Forest, after all,” he said, lecherously. “My, my…! Takes a lady to melt you heart!”
“Silence! Put an end to your venomous words, and be gone!” I said, taking a herb-plant out of my sack. “Go! You have caused enough grief! Slither away to your rat-hole, you expelled snake!”

Kobra-Khai disappeared from the chamber, defeated and humiliated. I turned my attention towards the Prince. Good Lord! He’s just a boy! And the Princess’ husband?!
“Get me warm water and honey, quick!” I instructed the chamber maid. “He has only a few minutes left.” From the corner of my eye, I could see the Princess standing with her Father; the King has become older than what he was when I last saw him in the Forest. Her Mother, too, stood beside her, grasping her hand. No, don’t look! The Prince, help him!

I crushed the herbs in my palm and mixed it with water and honey. The fang marks were clear on the Prince’s right arm. Applying the paste on the wound, I put the Elixir in his half-open mouth. That was all I could do.
Colour returned to the Prince’s skin, and there was a spark of life in his eyes. His chest rose and fell. “My Princess…” he gasped. The Princess ran to him and kissed him. The King and Queen followed. From the edge of the Tower I could see that the entire Palace had come to life; the men who were morose were now singing songs of joy.
“Good work, Keeper,” said Eagle. “You’ve done a noble deed.”
“Thank you for you kind words, Eagle.” I could say no more.

As I was about to mount Eagle, the Princess came to me, her eyes wet with tears and her face lightened with a smile; those hazel eyes were as beautiful as ever. “How can I thank you, Keeper!?”
“Keep your end of the bargain,” I said, coldly; unwillingly.
“Oh, yes!” She turned back, “Father, the 10,000 coins…” A knight brought a heavy bag and handed it to me. “Please stay back,” the Princess insisted. “Be our guest.”
“I have no use for your hospitality. I have one request, however: never, ever come looking for me. The Forest is a dangerous place. You get me?”
“Yes,” she answered, not understanding fully what I just said. Her eyes had a thousand questions; questions that I had no liberty to answer. She remained silent for a moment, and then said, “I am indebted to you, Keeper.”
“No, Princess,” I said, counting the coins, “We are settled. I saved you husband’s life, you honoured our agreement. It was a transaction, as simple as that.” 
And that was the greatest, and foulest lie I had ever uttered. Looking away, I said, “Back to the Forest, Eagle, we have a vicious snake to slay!”
“Yes, Keeper,” And turning toward the Princess, Eagle said to her: “Farewell, my lady!”

In mid-air, I thought I heard the Princess say: “I love you, Keeper…” But at such heights, the wind tends to get violent and one can hear things.



I never had to slay Kobra-Khai, the Prince’s personal guard did the honours. As for the Princess, some have said that she lives happily ever after with her Prince. While some others have speculated that after the near-death incident, the Prince left the palace and went back to being a humble Brahman, and the Princess spends her days on the Tower, gazing at the Forest.


What can I say? I mentioned that’s what people speculate; it’s not the truth, is it? Even if it was…well, what do I care!?
It’s just, after that fateful night, life has never been the same…ah well, look at my folly! A tramp like me with a princess like her!? Even in dreams the very thought is absurd!





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story, my friend... Very difficult to adapt a story to a particular character and rewrite it... Good attempt...

    ReplyDelete