Thursday, December 9, 2010

Blabber, jabber and all that (don't?) matter

Conversations can be fun.
Especially when you, and the person you're conversing with have no clue where it's going. Now, some people like serious, meaningful conversations (I do, at times...ok, most of the times!) but, at times you need your dose of nonsensical indulgences; idiotic, absurd, weird, and down right hilarious!

Life can be dull, boring, and um, duller and more boring, especially when you're in lectures. To top 'em all, we have something called as Foundation Course and Communication Skills.
Some mentally twisted & positively sadistic do-gooder (Xavierites know whom I speak of) came up with the idea that the "youth" (read you and I, and all the junkies in the foyer) need to be equipped with an education to deal with the future; of the world, planet and humanity (um, they didn't mention that in the Prospectus, but I'm sure it was on their agenda).

Sure thing, if you've screwed up the planet this bad, and know you're not gonna see the end of it, shove the responsibility on us...and, with the prospect of inheriting a broken planet, is there really anything we could do but try and fix it. I mean, it is our planet, right?

So, one day, in an FC lecture, we were asked to talk about 'values'. Me and my friend, Manas, went up to the board and started:
Me: well, um, to start with, most of the points we wanted to mention have already been mentioned. (Manas writes on the board- 'already been mentioned')
Me: so, values are important. (Manas writes, 'are important') um, I mean they are, or why else would we be studying about them and talking about it? Secondly, they are, um essential (Manas looks at me, then writes 'essential', class laughs) But, this is different from important!
Me: next, values are necessary
Manas: (whispering) what are you doing?! (writes 'are necessary')
Me: I mean, look at our world, it's in such a mess 'cause people don' think values are necessary...and lastly, examples of values are, um, honesty, punctuality, and equality(?)...
(Manas writes that, we do a knuckle-bump and walk back)

Next instance is a CSK class. we've been told to analyse a poem. of course, I slept through the recitation, and when the prof started asking questions, this is what happened:
Prof: what is the importance of 'seven', or why does the poet emphasize 'seven'?
Me: (murmuring) 'cause seven ate nine...!
Prof: (she didn't hear that!) so, Proshant, what do you think about it?
Me: um, ma'am, the imagery is touching...you know, it works, you can imagine a flower blooming, beautiful...
Prof: but, the flower is a metaphor of the sun, isn't it?
Me: yes..! I mean, of course, but the imagery is so good, that it's so real, and touching...!
The bell rang then, and well, what more can I say other than the cliche:
"saved by the bell"..!

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahhahaha..... Awesome! I was surprised though that you weren't paying attention to the poem being taught in class... ;) And I enjoyed your second story more... ahahahhahaha... Even I've been through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't paying attention 'cause:
    a) i was sleepy, it was the last lec of the day, and a tutorial.
    b) when did I ever feel the need to learn poetry in class...?!
    and c) I'd seen Dead Poet's Society a couple of days back...
    ...it takes one to know one, MrNarci...!

    ReplyDelete